Greenshot is a great [and free] screenshot utility. What I really like about this program is it will name the screenshot after the window that is captured. I was testing the program HDD Low Level Format Tool and took a screenshot, which resulted in “2015-09-03 14_41_10-Device Selection – HDD Low Level Format Tool 4.40 Home License.png.”
I did not like the Greenshot default settings so I made changes. I wanted Greenshot to capture the focused window and save it directly to the specified folder (screenshots on my desktop). This is how I configured it:
- Start Greenshot, right-click on the icon in the taskbar, select Preferences…
- If you want the same action as I described above, just match my settings below.
- To change the hotkeys for screenshots, click on the box for the action and press the button(s) you would like to use (i.e., I placed the cursor in the Capture window box and pressed the Prt Scr button. I then changed the hotkey of the option that had previously claimed the Prt Scr button).
- I like the camera Play camera sound option.
- Select the directory for your screenshots.
- Uncheck Select destination dynamically and check the box for Save directly (using preferred file output settings).
- The remaining settings stay as-is.
Sometimes I have the attention span of a squirrel and I did not see a portable version of Greenshot on their website. I therefore copied the Greenshot install directory (C:Program FilesGreenshot) and ran the program on another computer. It worked just fine, though I did not test it extensively.
If you like the program, I recommend you donate (I did) so they will continue working on it.